If you have children:
- Are your children involved in clubs such as Girl Guides or Boy Scouts?
- Can you tell us one special thing about each of your children? What are their strong points?
- Do you prefer a daughter or a son?
- How did you choose your children’s names?
- How many children do you have? How old are they?
- How many of your children are living with you now?
- What kind of chores do you require your child (or children) to do?
- Are there any foods that you do not let your children eat?
- Are there any sports that you consider too dangerous to allow your child to try? If so, what sports?
- Are you careful about your child’s diet?
- Do you help your children with their homework? How much help do you think is appropriate?
- Do you think boys are easier to take care of than girls or vice versa? Why?
- Do you think boys are more expensive than girls or vice versa? Why?
- Do you think you spoil your child? In what ways do you spoil your child? What are some ways that you have seen others spoil their children?
- Is there any food that you force your children to eat even though they don’t like the food?
- What are some things that you would allow your children to do that you think other parents may not allow their children to do? Why do you think it is okay to allow this?
- What are some things that you would not allow your children to do?
- Would you allow your child to get a tattoo? What tattoo would you suggest to your child to get?
- Would you allow your son or daughter to pierce body parts? If so, what parts of the body would you allow to be pierced?
- Are all couples who can have children qualified enough to be parents?
- Do you think that you are a good parent? Why?
- Do you think your children will be good parents?
- Do you think your parents were good parents?
- Have you ever changed cloth diapers with safety pins and rubber pants before?
- How do you cope with sibling rivalry?
- How do you reward your children for the good things that they do?
- What are some things that you have seen other parents do that you would never do?
- What are some things that your parents did that you would never do?
- What are the names of some good books on parenting?
- What are the names of some good websites on parenting?
- What do you think are some of the most difficult problems faced by parents?
- Do you think a mother is a better “stay at home parent” than a father? Why or why not? Does the age of the children matter?
- Do you think it is OK for a father to stay at home with the children and have the mother work instead?
- Do you think it is okay for children to call their parents by their first names? Do you call your parents by name? Do your children call you by name? Do you know anyone who does?
- Do you think it’s OK to use drugs while pregnant?
- Do you think there should be a maximum age for parents to have a new child?
- Does biological parenthood necessarily mean that the parents are also qualified enough for bringing the child up?
- Should a good mother give up her job to stay at home with her children?
- Should children work? Do you agree or disagree?
- Should criminals and morally corrupt people be prevented from having children by law?
- Should women always get custody (keep the children) after a divorce? Why or why not?
- About how many hours a week do you spend doing things with your children? Do you spend more time doing things with your children now than you did last year?
- Do you often read to your children? / Did you often read to your children? How often? For how long each time? What kinds of books?
- What kinds of things did you do with your children?
- What kinds of things do you do with your children?
- What kinds of things would you like to do with your children?
Punishment and Controversial Issues
- Do you think gay couples can be good parents to adopted children?
- Do you think it is OK to breast-feed in public? What do you think when you see a mother breast-feeding her child in public?
- Do you think spanking is an appropriate form of punishment? Why or why not?
- Have you ever rinsed your child’s mouth out with soap as punishment for swearing?
- How do you deal with your children when they fight with each other?
- How do you usually punish your children?
- If you were a mother or father, would you allow your son or daughter to listen heavy metal music?
- Should pregnant women that are unwed consider abortion? Should any women consider abortion? In what cases do you think abortion is acceptable? When do you think abortion is unacceptable?
- What do you think about single mothers?
- What would you do if you found out your child jigged (skipped) school for a day?
- What would you do if you found out your child was shoplifting (stealing)?
- What would you do if your child lied to you?
- Would you have your son circumcised? Why or why not?
Couldn’t find the type of question you’re looking for? Check out our complete list of ESL Conversation Questions. You can also look through our other resources or opportunities to teach abroad with ESL Workshop.